Professor; Associate Chair, Physics and A
What I do"Curiosity in community" is the best environment for both rich learning and innovative research.
condensed matter physics, Optics and Photonics
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Colorado, 2009
- BS, Engineering Physics, Colorado School of Mines, 2003
- The Optical Society
- American Physical Society
We use ultrashort pulsed lasers to control and measure electron transport, primarily through multidimensional coherent spectroscopy. This allows us to observe and differentiate coherent and incoherent transport pathways in complex semiconductor materials such as quantum wells and thin films. We are currently studying perovskite thin films, which have shown great promise as a next-generation photovoltaic material without clear understanding of why they work so well - our goal is to clarify the basic transport physics in these materials to enable the fabrication of even higher conversion efficiency and lower cost solar cells.
We also study the generation, propagation, and measurement of light with phase singularities and orbital angular momentum (OAM). We are interested in high-purity generation and high-fidelity measurement of light's OAM for potential applications in communication and spectroscopy. We are studying emergent topological interactions in propagating optical beams.
Areas of Research
- CAREER: Unlocking forbidden optical transitions in nanostructures using light with orbital angular momentum
- Collaborative Research: OAM photonics: sensing and imaging enabled by orbital angular momentum of light
- Collaborative: Ultrafast Phonon Spectroscopy for Lifetime Measurements of Phonons in 2-D Transitional Metal Dchalcogenides
- Quanitzed phonon dynamics for thermoelectrics
- Fulbright Scholar, Fulbright Scholar program, United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- Franklin Research Grant , American Philosophical Society
- NSF CAREER award, National Science Foundation
- Outstanding Junior Faculty, DU Division of Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Doctoral New Investigator, American Chemical Society